Thursday, October 9, 2008

World Egg Day: Vegetable Fried Rice with....Eggs!

Eggs. Incredible. Edible. I heart eggs. You've got that little jingle in your head now, don't you?

It's true, eggs are one of my most favorite foods. I like mine hard-boiled with a sprinkle of salt and pepper on top. My husband prefers his eggs fried with bacon and slapped on slice of toast. Dawson won't eat them unless he doesn't know they're eggs.

Which is why he loves fried rice with a few eggs scrambled in for good measure. He just thinks it's "big and puffy rice." In honor of World Egg Day, we decided to make a batch of egg inspired dish.

(We found our Vegetable Fried Rice recipe in the Around the World Cookbook that I got at a cultural fair at the local high school. I love this cookbook because the recipes are designed with kids in mind. Nearly all the recipes are easy for kids to make, with parental supervision of course. Unfortunately, Dawson wanted nothing to do with the chopping and cooking so as usual, I stepped in.)

This dish is so delish, I just have to share it with you. I promise, no more rhyming.

Our Ingredients:

3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use EVOO. See that? I just channeled Rachael Ray.)
1 small onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped (I use half red and half green)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups cooked white or brown rice (we use brown)
1/2 cup green peas (I use less, picky child and all)
1 carrot, peeled and finely shredded (I julienne my carrot so that I can feel like a real chef)
2 large eggs
(we sometimes use 3)
3 tablespoons soy sauce

Cooking Instructions:

1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok (or large frying pan) over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 3 minutes.

2. Add rice, peas, and carrot. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.

3. Push the cooked ingredients to the edge of the wok. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the side of the wok. Crack in the eggs and stir until scrambled. Slowly stir the rice mixture until blended.

4. Add the soy sauce, cook stirring constantly, until well blended, about 1 minute. Serve hot.

Mmmm. Yummy scrambled eggs...err..."puffy rice."

And egg inspired dish that is truly delish! (Okay, so I fibbed. I like to rhyme.)

Don't forget the soy sauce!


1 comment:

Shari Schmidt said...

This looks fabulous. It might be lunch today.